How do I attend community college?

For admission to community college you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Be at least 18 years old, with or without a diploma, OR
  • Be a high school graduate, OR
  • Have the equivalent of a high school diploma.

NOTE: You may take community college classes while you are also in high school!

BUT if you enroll in higher education for the first time on or after July 1, 2012, in order to be eligible for federal student aid, you must have either a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent (such as a GED or a homeschool education).

Check out for community colleges in your area.  If you’re interested in transferring from a community college to a four-year university, talk to your college counselor about the requirements.  You’ll need to complete specific coursework before you can transfer, depending on your class level and your major.  Click here for more information on transferring.