Who is an education rights holder?

Until a person turns 18, an adult holds their education rights. This person is called an education rights holder, or ERH.

The ERH is usually your mom or dad. However, when you are in foster care, sometimes the court will give the right to be the ERH to someone else, like a family member or court volunteer (called a CASA). Some people cannot be ERHs. These include your CSW and group home staff. If you do not know who your ERH is, or if you don’t think your ERH is acting in your best educational interest, call your attorney right away. They can tell you who your ERH is, and they can also ask the judge to change your ERH if necessary.

Related questions