What should I do if I’m not getting help to become independent?

If you are experiencing a problem with your TILP, (for example, you don’t have an updated TILP, your CSW or PO is not involving you in developing your TILP, or you aren’t getting the services you need) please let your attorney or judge know right away.  Your attorney can help enforce your TILP in dependency court. The judge can help make certain you receive these services.

If you are denied an ILP service that you requested, you can appeal the decision. Click here for the form you need to appeal the denial.

ILP has 30 days to respond after your request.  If you are having problems accessing ILP services more than 30 days after you have submitted the form to your CSW or TC, let your attorney know right away.  If you are not able to get ahold of your TC, you can contact the ILP managers for ILP and probation.  You can find their names at ilponline.org.   If you are having difficulties getting the help you need, call the ILP Ombudsperson for L.A. County at (877) 694-5741 or for California at 877-846-1602If you still need help, click here to get help from Public Counsel.

If you want to voice a general complaint, you have the right as a foster youth to file a complaint with the Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman.  You can let them know about the problems you are experiencing and they will look into the matter for you.  You can file a complaint online at: www.fosteryouthhelp.ca.gov/Complaints.html or via telephone at 1-877-846-1602.  Depending on the situation, the Ombudsman’s Office will respond to complaints in anywhere from 24 hours to seven days.  You can file a complaint on your own behalf or you can have someone you trust file it for you.

If your foster parents(s) are interfering with the goals in your TILP, you must also let someone know right away!  You can let your CSW know about the situation and see if they can help.  If not, the best option would be to inform your attorney or judge about the problem.  Again, the Court can help enforce your TILP.  You can also contact the Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman or click here to get help from Public Counsel.