What services can I get if I need special help with my learning?

If you attend school on a regular basis, try your best, and ask for help but you are still struggling to understand or do well in some or all of your classes, you may need special help. Needing special help with your learning is not something to be ashamed of.

Many famous people have struggled with learning disabilities and gone on to accomplish amazing things! Actor Tom Cruise, has dyslexia, Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, has ADHD, and even one of history’s most famous mathematicians, Albert Einstein, had a learning disability!

Did you know that nearly one-third of foster youth are eligible for special education and related services? If you are eligible for special education as a student with a disability, the law says that your education program, including what you learn and how you learn it, must be created to meet your specific needs. This Individualized Education Program (IEP) must be provided to you for free as part of your public education. Your IEP may include “related services” which are other services available to you to help you become a better student. These services might include: transportation to and from school, counseling, nursing, speech and language therapy, mental health services, reading assistance, and physical/occupational therapy.