I don’t have a permanent place to stay. Can I go back to my old school?

Absolutely! Under the McKinney-Vento Homelessness Act, you can go back to your old school — even if you don’t have all the necessary paperwork, like a birth certificate or your immunization records. The school must enroll you even if you don’t have these documents.

If you choose to stay at your “school of origin” (also known as your “home school”), you have the right to get free transportation to and from school. This will usually be in the form of bus tokens. If you are in LAUSD and having a problem enrolling into a school or getting transportation, you should contact the Los Angeles Unified School District’s Homeless Student Liaison at (213) 202-7581.  If you are in another district, find your district liaison at http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/hs/cy/

Each school district is required to have a Homeless Student Liaison. If you are still having difficulties getting the help you need, click here to get help from Public Counsel.

, ,